Chief Learning Officer magazine is a trademark of Mediatec Publishing Inc. All clomedia.com and Chief Learning Officer magazine content Copyright 2013 MediaTec Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved. It is illegal to copy, reproduce or publish any information contained on clomedia.com or in Chief Learning Officer magazine without express written permission from MediaTec Publishing Inc.
Kathy Sutter: Creating a Balanced Toolkit for Learning
Office Depot offers endless rows of colorful pens, folders and gadgets designed to make working easier, more organized and efficient. A former schoolteacher for grades 4-8, Kathy Sutter, vice president of leadership development and global learning for Off
Name: Kathy Sutter
Title: Vice President, Leadership Development and Global Learning
Company: Office Depot
- Developed and implemented leadership development curriculum that spans the needs of front-line management through executives.
- Partnered with the CEO and executive team to define the core leadership competencies that underpin all aspects of performance management.
- Focused on driving cultural change to differentiate performance by instituting a new talent review process to assess the talent base, raise the bar, identify strengths and gaps, and execute rigorous development plans.
- Employed a customized 360-degree feedback instrument for leaders to increase self-awareness and self-management toward inspirational leadership.
- Implemented C.O.N.N.E.C.T., a mentor/protege program, to encourage a pipeline of diverse talent to senior leadership positions.
- Leveraged multiple e-learning solutions and an LMS to provide information and skills training for improved performance in a highly distributed organization.
Learning Philosophy: "Engaging high-quality talent and building a compelling place to work is paramount to our success at Office Depot. Developing worldwide talent is a fundamental strategy that will fuel our ability to attract and retain exceptional people. Our developmental experiences are intended to impact the whole person - providing expanded thinking and thought-provoking concepts. Our responsibility is to give our employees the learning, tools and skills they need to maximize their performance and potential to help build a compelling place to work, shop and invest."
Office Depot offers endless rows of colorful pens, folders and gadgets designed to make working easier, more organized and efficient. A former schoolteacher for grades 4-8, Kathy Sutter, vice president of leadership development and global learning for Office Depot, has firsthand experience with the tools of teaching. It's only right that since Office Depot is virtually a one-stop shop for all supply needs, she implement a few new tools to help create an organization with a holistic view of learning and development that trickles down from the top VPs and front-line managers to the cashiers who greet you at the checkout line.
The Next Generation of HR: What’s Wrong? What’s Right?
May 23rd 1:00pm - 2:00pm CT
2013 CLO Breakfast Club, Boston
September 12th - 12th, 2013The Westin Copley Place
Fall 2013 CLO Symposium
September 30th - October 2nd, 2013Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Get the Magazine