Chief Learning Officer magazine is a trademark of Mediatec Publishing Inc. All clomedia.com and Chief Learning Officer magazine content Copyright 2013 MediaTec Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved. It is illegal to copy, reproduce or publish any information contained on clomedia.com or in Chief Learning Officer magazine without express written permission from MediaTec Publishing Inc.
'Learning Bursts': A Different Way to Deliver Training
What are some of the ways companies are using learning bursts?• A stand-alone replacement for traditional classroom or online courses.
• A supplement to traditional classroom or online courses.
• A post-work assignment.
• A blended solution, in combination with a series of supporting webinars.In the blended approach, a group of students are assigned to a learning burst course. They attend a kickoff webinar in which the course is introduced and learning bursts are assigned. Students complete the learning bursts individually. A mid-session webinar is held for two reasons: it answers questions about any of the content and puts the students into virtual teams to complete a simulation or case study.A final webinar is then held in which the students present their solution to the case study or simulation, and the program is then closed.Some advantages of using learning bursts:• Mobile — learning can be taken anywhere and not tied to a computer or the Internet.
• Flexible and focused — learning bursts are designed so they can be taken in any order; each burst is a stand-alone “micro” course.
• No new technology is needed — learning bursts use MP3, PDF and Java files.
• Cheaper than classroom training — travel, facility costs, food, printing materials, etc., are all eliminated, making learning bursts attractive.Dave Basarab is a senior learning executive and the founder of Dave Basarab Consulting. He can be reached at editor@CLOmedia.com.
Leveraging the Latest in Brain Science to Deliver the Next Generation of E-Learning
May 29th 1:00pm - 2:00pm CT
2013 CLO Breakfast Club, Boston
September 12th - 12th, 2013The Westin Copley Place
Fall 2013 CLO Symposium
September 30th - October 2nd, 2013Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Get the Magazine